Thursday, October 9, 2014

The best cake I ever ate



The best cake I ever ate


Outside the shop, I saw a street urchin, with hunger, shake

As he devoured with his eyes, the pink cupcake,

The one, that sat on the counter, covered by a fly shade,

The one, that mama, always forbade,


As for my mother I ran the errand,

Collected the fresh butter, bread, bun crescent,

Well that leaves a few pence, the kindly shopkeeper, said ,

Would like the toffee or the éclairs instead?


I shook my head, my decision made,

I would rather have the cupcake,

The shopkeeper surprised, gave his head a shake,

Still handed over the treat in a newspaper package


As I stepped out the shop,

I turned and made an abrupt stop,

Held out my little gift,

To the hungry boy, his spirits to lift,


He drew back a little wary,

Even as he grabbed the package, eagerly

Turned away to find a seat

Then I watched him eat,


With great tenderness he opened his treasure,

With greedy eyes, its’ size, did measure,

Then a pink tongue poked out, to lick, the icing, plum,

Relished each bite, until there wasn't even a crumb,


And although, I never knew, how the pink icing, did taste,

It was the best cake that I ever ate.




--shubha

No comments:

Post a Comment