Monday, January 26, 2015

An Indian-American's Republic day

An Indian-American's  Republic day

Listen to some patriotic songs..Check
Change profile picture on my homepage..Check
Wish friends in India and abroad .. Check
Look up weekend celebrations in local community.. Check
Tell my son about past flag hoisting ceremonies.. Check
Look for a picture of the tricolor fluttering.. Check

And as my heart fills with pride, ignore the ache
The longing, for that, which once formed
A greater part of my identity,
Still does
And with each distant flutter
Each descending rose petal
With each passing year
I lose just a little more
Cleave out a just a little more Indian
As I forge a new identity, in an adopted land
As American
And forever walk the tightrope
Of the hyphen
Of Indian-American

My homage to my homeland paid
I fold my patriotism
To unfurl, for Independence Day.

--shubha 

No comments:

Post a Comment