Monday, April 4, 2016

Twilight of doubt and faith

Twilight of doubt and faith

To the famous shrine of lore
Thousands came with their pleas, galore

On the tired feet of faith, arrived the streams
With a silent plea to fulfill , their whispered dreams

Others came to give thanks for blessings received
For dreams fulfilled , successes achieved

Claustrophobic ,pressing crowd that pulls, trips
A frightened child , carried on my hips

My own faith ,prayers dissipate, unroll
To escape this roiling human sea becomes the goal

As I stumble, fumble on my way out
Brother in law returns to chivvy me about

In the middle of all this panicked chaos, pressing
A blanket over our heads in forced blessing

A priest materialized in the crowd, blessings to render
Demanded money for the services tendered

I left the shrine with strange disquiet
Wondering at my own shaky faith, flight

Guilt niggled at the doubts that arrayed
Microcosm of true faith, piety, greed, pomp on display

But peace descended with the twilight
To blanket the valleys, hills in fading light

Allowed me to pray on the quiet ride
Collect blessings that on every evening , glide

A lesson in doubt, faith, enlightening
Yet received from the shrine, some peace as a blessing

--shubha

No comments:

Post a Comment