Tuesday, March 4, 2014

The Commute

The Commute


Late one morning on the way to work,
Traffic , congestion at every light and lane
The windshield wet with beating rain,
I wondered ,should I try another route,
Try the old winding highway that was generally free than not,
Or crawl down I-540 traffic chute?
As I neared the I-540 ramp before I decided that,
A honk, the screech of tires behind, gave me a start,
And a impulsive decision ,I chose my lot,
And sped up the acceleration ramp with all my old cars might,
And almost at once had to slow down to a trot,
And join the never ending lines of red tail lights,
As I merged into the this crawling lineup,
The GPS, very helpfully did pipe up,
To advise me that there was traffic ahead,
I gritted my teeth and saw red,
Changed many a radio channel, tapped my fingers on the wheel
With great impatience ,with the this trial did I deal,
Until a story on the radio caught my ear,
A story of great patience in circumstances hard to bear,
Righted my perspective about my situation
Ashamed about my impatient annoyance,
Taught me much, this commute to patience.

--shubha

No comments:

Post a Comment